DR. ARIJIT BHATTACHARYA
Present Position: Associate Professor and HoD
Department of Microbiology, School of Life Science and Biotechnology
- D (Science), CSIR-IICB, Kolkata
- Sc. in Microbiology, University of Calcutta
Research Key Areas:
- Antimicrobial resistance- resistomics
- Molecular parasitology
- Microbial Genetics
- Biofilm and persister cells
- Systemic exploration of quorum sensing regulated bacterial metabolites: evolutionary strategy to combat resistance.
- Comprehensive Understanding of Modulation of Macrophage Activity during Phagocytosis of Developing Bacterial Biofilms: from infection to translation.
- Development of molecular diagnostic procedures for AMR infections.
- Molecular evolution of DNA repair, metabolic and signal transductions pathways in lower eukaryotic pathogens.
- Associate Professor, Professor& HoD (Microbiology), Adamas University, India (Nov 2020-)
- Associate Professor, Microbiology, Adamas University (Jan 2019- present)
- Post-doctoral Researcher, University of Laval, QC, Canada (Feb 2014-Dec 2018)
- Assistant Professor, Microbiology, Tripura (Central) University (May 2012-Mar 2015)
- Assistant Professor, Microbiology, Presidency College (WBES) (June 2009-May 2012)
- Project Assistant-Level-III CSIR, IICB (Aug 2008-June 2009)
Research Publication (s):
- Number of research papers published in International refereed journals: 20
- Book Chapters: 3
For Details, Visit: https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/162090
Selected Publication (s):
- Combined gene deletion of dihydrofolate reductase-thymidylate synthase and pteridine reductase in Leishmania infantum PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases, Volume 15, Year 2021
- Quorum quenching activity of pentacyclic triterpenoids leads to inhibition of biofilm formation by Acinetobacter baumannii Biofouling, Volume , Year 2020
- A comprehensive and comparative study on the action of pentacyclic triterpenoids on Vibrio cholerae biofilms Sudipta Paul Bhattacharya ., Arijit Bhattacharya ., Aparna Sen ., Microbial Pathogenesis, Volume 149, Year 2020
- Evaluation of modulators of cAMP-response in terms of their impact on cell cycle and mitochondrial activity of Leishmania donovani Amrita Saha ., Anindita Bhattacharjee ., Amit Vij ., Pijush K. Das ., Arijit Bhattacharya ., Arunima Biswas ., , Volume 11, Year 2020
- Exploiting antimicrobial resistance: Better knowledge of resistance mechanisms can inform the search for and development of new antibiotics Marc Ouellette ., Arijit Bhattacharya ., EMBO Reports, Volume 21, Year 2020
- Of drugs and trypanosomatids: New tools and knowledge to reduce bottlenecks in drug discovery Arijit Bhattacharya ., Audrey Corbeil ., Rubens L. do Monte-Neto ., Christopher Fernandez-Prada ., Genes, Volume 11, Year 2020, Pages 1-24
- Coupling chemical mutagenesis to next generation sequencing for the identification of drug resistance mutations in Leishmania Arijit Bhattacharya ., Philippe Leprohon ., Sophia Bigot ., Prasad Kottayil Padmanabhan ., Angana Mukherjee ., Gaétan Roy ., Hélène Gingras ., Anais Mestdagh ., Barbara Papadopoulou ., Marc Ouellette ., Nature Communications, Volume 10, Year 2019
- Gain- And loss-of-function screens coupled to next-generation sequencing for antibiotic mode of action and resistance studies in streptococcus pneumoniae Hélène Gingras ., Kévin Patron ., Arijit Bhattacharya ., Philippe Leprohon ., Marc Ouellette ., Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Volume 63, Year 2019
- Genomewide analysis of mode of action of the S-adenosylmethionine analogue sinefungin in Leishmania infantum Arijit Bhattacharya ., Mansi Sharma ., Charles Packianathan ., Barry P. Rosen ., Philippe Leprohon ., Marc Ouellette ., mSystems, Volume 4, Year 2019
- New insights with miltefosine unresponsiveness in Brazilian Leishmania infantum isolates Arijit Bhattacharya ., Marc Ouellette ., EBioMedicine, Volume 37, Year 2018, Pages 13-14
- Role of leishmanial acidocalcisomal pyrophosphatase in the cAMP homeostasis in phagolysosome conditions required for intra-macrophage survival Arunima Biswas ., Arijit Bhattacharya ., Amit Vij ., Pijush K. Das ., International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Volume 86, Year 2017, Pages 1-13
- A soluble phosphodiesterase in Leishmania donovani negatively regulates cAMP signaling by inhibiting protein kinase A through a two way process involving catalytic as well as non-catalytic sites Amit Vij ., Arunima Biswas ., Arijit Bhattacharya ., Pijush K. Das ., International Journal of Biochemistry and Cell Biology, Volume 57, Year 2014, Pages 197-206
- Identification of a protein kinase A regulatory subunit from Leishmania having importance in metacyclogenesis through induction of autophagy Arijit Bhattacharya ., Arunima Biswas ., Pijush K. Das ., Molecular Microbiology, Volume 83, Year 2012, Pages 548-564
- Expression of IL-10-triggered STAT3-dependent IL-4Rα is required for induction of arginase 1 in visceral leishmaniasis Arunima Biswas ., Arijit Bhattacharya ., Susanta Kar ., Pijush K. Das ., European Journal of Immunology, Volume 41, Year 2011, Pages 992-1003
- Role of a differentially expressed cAMP phosphodiesterase in regulating the induction of resistance against oxidative damage in Leishmania donovani Arijit Bhattacharya ., Arunima Biswas ., Pijush K. Das ., Free Radical Biology and Medicine, Volume 47, Year 2009, Pages 1494-1506
- Role of intracellular cAMP in differentiation-coupled induction of resistance against oxidative damage in Leishmaniadonovani Arijit Bhattacharya ., Arunima Biswas ., Pijush K. Das ., Free Radical Biology and Medicine, Volume 44, Year 2008, Pages 779-794
- Systemic exploration of quorum sensing regulated bacterial metabolites- translational alternative to combat antibiotic resistance funded by SERB-SRG
- Comprehensive Understanding of Modulation of Macrophage Activity During Phagocytosis of Developing Bacterial Biofilms: from infection to translation funded by SEED grant, AU.
- Systemic exploration of pentacyclic triterpenoids against bacterial biofilms funded by UGC (completed).
Research Advisor / Supervisor:
- Doctoral Thesis Advisor / Supervisor : 2 (Under progress)
- Post Graduate Thesis Advisor : 12 (Awarded)
Award/ Academic Recognition/ Major Professional Activity:
- Contributing member American Society of Microbiology Complementary member: Genetics Society of America Life member: Society of Biological Chemists, INDIA
Journal affiliations (as reviewer):
- PLOS Neglected Tropical Diseases, iScience, Frontiers in Pharmacology, Infection, genetics and evolution, PLOSone, Parasites & Vectors, Archives of Microbiology and Access Microbiology (Microbiology Society, UK).