Dr. Joydeep Paul
Present Position: Assistant Professor
Department of Biotechnology, School of Life Science and Biotechnology
- PhD (Biotechnology), (Jadavpur University)
- MSc. in Genetics, University of Calcutta
- B.Sc. in Zoology (Honours), University of Calcutta
Research Key Areas:
- Drug Resistance
- Chronic Inflammation
- Drug Designing (natural and synthetic)
- Host-Pathogen Interaction
- Plenary speaker at the 26th BSVER Annual International Conference that held on 28 February to 1 March, 2020 at Bangladesh Agricultural University (BAU) campus, Mymensingh, Bangladesh under the Alexander von Humboldt networking initiative.
- 2019- present: Assistant Professor, Department of Biotechnology, School of Life Science and Biotechnology, Adamas University.
- 2017-2018: Alexander Von Humboldt Post-Doctoral Fellow, Division of Animal Physiology and Immunology, Technical University Munich. PI: Prof Dietmar Zehn.
- 2016-2017: Post-Doctoral Fellow, Baylor Institute for Immunology Research, Dallas, Texas, USA. PI: Dr. Venuprasad K. Poojary.
- 2009-2014: Ph.D. Department of Infectious disease and Immunology, Indian Institute of Chemical Biology (IICB)-Jadavpur University. Advisor: Prof . Tripti De
Research Publication (s):
- Number of research papers published in International refereed journals: 1
- Number of research papers published in International peer-reviewed Scopus Proceedings: 12
- Number of research papers published in National peer-reviewed Scopus Proceedings: 02
- Number of invited Book-Chapters: 01
For Details, Visit:
Selected Publication (s)
- Mandal S., Chakrabarty D., Bhattacharya A., Paul J., Pal K., Haldar S. miRNA regulation of GPCR mediated angiogenic pathways in cancer. The Nucleus. 2021 (doi:https://doi.org/10.1007/s13237-021-00365-0)
- Bandopadhyay S., Pal K., Haldar S., Paul J*. Exploring the role of phytochemicals as biopharmaceuticals targeting Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome (ARDS) virus:An Overview. Discovery Phytomedicine. 2021; 8 (1): 29-42.
- Pradhan S., Ghosh S., Hussain S, Paul J., Mukherjee B. Linking membrane fluidity with defective antigen presentation in leishmaniasis. Parasite Immunology. 2021. 43(7):e12835.
- Paul J, Singh AK, Kathania M, Elviche TL, Zeng M, Basrur V, Theiss AL, Venuprasad K. IL-17-driven intestinal fibrosis is inhibited by Itch-mediated ubiquitination of HIC-5. Mucosal Immunol. 2018: doi:10.1038/mi.2017.53.
- Singh MK, Bhaumik SK, Karmakar S, Paul J, Sawoo S, Majumder HK, Roy A. Copper salisylaldoxime (CuSAL) imparts protective efficacy against visceral leishmaniasis by targeting Leishmania donovani topoisomerase IB. Exp Parasitol. 2017; 175:8-20.
- Mukherjee B†, Paul J†, Mukherjee S, Mukhopadhyay R, Das S, Naskar K, Sundar S, Dujardin JC, Saha B, Roy S. Antimony Resistant Leishmania donovani exploits miR-466i to deactivate host MyD88 for regulating IL-10/IL-12 levels during early hours of infection. J. Immunol. 2015:195(6):2731-2742. († equal contribution).
- Singh MK, Paul J, De T, Chakraborti T. (2015). Bioactivity guided fractionation of Moringa oleifera flower targeting Leishmania donavani parasite. IJEB. 2015; 53(11):747-52.
- Paul J, Naskar K, Chowdhury S, Chakraborti T, De T. TLR mediated GSK3β activation suppresses CREB mediated IL-10 production to induce a protective immune response against murine visceral leishmaniasis. Biochimie. 2014:107: 235-246.
- Paul J, Naskar K, Chowdhury S, Alam N, Chakraborti T, De T. TLR4 mediated activation of MyD88 signaling induces protective immune response and IL-10 down-regulation in Leishmania donovani infection. IJBB. 2014:51(6) 531-541.
- Paul J, Karmakar S, De T. TLR-mediated distinct IFN-γ/IL-10 pattern induced protective immunity against murine visceral leishmaniasis. Eur. J. Immunol. 2012:42: 2087– 2099.
- Bhaumik SK†, Paul J†, Naskar K, Karmakar S, De T. Asiaticoside induces tumour- necrosis-factor-a-mediated nitric oxide production to cure experimental visceral leishmaniasis caused by antimony-susceptible and -resistant Leishmania donovani strains. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2012:67(4): 910-920. († equal contribution).
- Karmakar S†, Bhaumik SK†, Paul J, De T. TLR4 and NKT Cell Synergy in Immunotherapy against Visceral Leishmaniasis. PLoS Pathog. 2012:8(4): e1002646. doi: 10.1371/journal.ppat.1002646. († equal contribution).
- Karmakar S‡, Bhaumik SK‡, Paul J, De T. Leishmania Donovani Cell Surface Sialoglycans Regulate Susceptibility for Siglec Mediated Macrophage Invasion and
Parasite Survival. Journal of Molecular Biochemistry. 2012:1: 6-20. (‡equal contribution)
- Karmakar S, Paul J, De T. Leishmania donovani glycosphingolipid facilitates antigen presentation by inducing relocation of CD1d into lipid rafts in infected macrophages. Eur. J. Immunol. 2011:41: 1–12.
- Vaccine development through Reverse Vaccinology using Artificial intelligence and machine learning approach by Bhakta S., Choudhury S., Paul J., Bhattacharya A. ELSEVIER, 2021 (In Production)
- PI: Analysis of the phytoconstituents of an economically important and extremely endangered tree Pterocarpus angolensis and exploration of their antimicrobial & antiprotozoan efficacy (Adamas University Seed Grant, Rs 2 Lakh(s)), Duration (2 years).
- Co-PI: Investigating antiallergic potential of cow-dung from Indian indigenous cow: A multiomics approach for novel formulation. (Adamas University Seed Grant, Rs 2 Lakh(s)), Duration (2 years).
Research Advisor / Supervisor:
- Doctoral Thesis Advisor / Supervisor : 1 (Under progress)
- Post Graduate Thesis Advisor : 3 (Awarded)
Award/ Academic Recognition/ Major Professional Activity:
- Reviewer of iScience.
- Reviewer of Parasitology International.
- Reviewer of Annals of Parasitology.
- Qualified for National Eligibility Test(NET) for junior research Fellowship (Rank: 238) for PhD (June 2009) conducted by Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (Govt.of India).
- Qualified for Senior Research Fellowship (SRF) for PhD conducted by Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR, Govt of India), January 2012- January 2015.
- Selected for Alexander von Humboldt long term post-doctoral Fellowship 2017/2018. Receiving Fellowship from September, 2017 up to December, 2018.
- Member of Alexander von Humboldt Alumni since January 2019.