Dr. Kuntal Pal
Present Position: Assistant Professor
Department of Biotechnology,School of Life Science and Biotechnology
- PhD (Structural Biology), (National University of Singapore)
- M.Tech. Biotechnol. & Biochem. Engineering, IIT-KHARAGPUR
- M.Sc. Biotechnology, C.S.J.M. University, Kanpur
Research Key Areas:
- Protein Structural Biology
- Cancer biology
- G-protein Coupled receptor biology
- Drug designing, Molecular docking and molecular dynamics
- Associated with a first novel GPCR-Arrestin protein complex structure published in “NATURE” journal that expedites the research in designing novel drugs against GPCRs
- Associated with cryo-Electron Microscopy structure of GPCR-beta-Arrestin structure puleshed in “Cell Research” journal (IF=25) from ADAMAS University.
- Recipient of prestigious Start-up research grant from DST-SERB in 2020 on cancer biology research.
- Assistant Professor, Adamas University, India, 2018-
- Post Doc Fellow, Van Andel Research Institute, Michigan, USA (2011-2017)
- Research Associate, National University of Singapore, 2010
- Visiting Professor in Lady Brabourne College, University of Calcutta to teach the subject of “Porteomics” for M.Sc. Microbiology students
Research Publication (s):
- Number of research papers published in International refereed journals: 15
- Number of research papers published in International peer-reviewed Scopus Proceedings: 2
- Number of invited Book-Chapters: 1,
For Details, Visit: https://scholar.google.com/citations?user=ZtkkVRsAAAAJ&hl=en
Selected Publication (s):
- Wanchao Yin*, Zhihai Li*, Mingliang Jin*, Yu-Ling Yin*, Parker de Waal, Pal, K., Xiang Gao, Yuanzheng He, Jin Gao, Xiaoxi Wang, Yan Zhang, Hu Zhou, Melcher K., Yi Jiang, Yao Cong, Zhou, X. Edward, Xuekui Yu, Xu, H. Eric. A complex structure of β-arrestin bound to a G protein coupled receptor. Cell Research. 2019; 29:971.
- Pal, K., Bandyopadhyay, A., Zhou, X. Edward, Xu, Q., Marciano, P.D., Griffin, R.P., Yerrum, S., Vande Woude, G., Melcher, K., and Xu, H. Eric. Structural basis of TPR mediated oligomerization and activation of oncogenic fusion kinases. Structure. 2017; 25(6): 867-877
- Singh, S.*, Pal, K.*, Yadav, J., Tang, H., Partyka. K., Kletter, D., Hsueh, P., Ensink, E., Birendra KC., Hostetter G., Xu, H. Eric, Bern, M., Smith, David F., Mehta, Anand S., Brand R., Melcher, K., Haab, Brian B. Upregulation of Glycans containing 3’ Fucose in a subset of pancreatic cancers uncovered using fusion-tagged lectins. J . Proteome Res., 2015; 14(6):2594-2605.
- Pal, K., Melcher, K., Xu, Eric H. Structure modeling using genetically engineered crosslinking. Cell. 2013; 155(6):1207-1208. (Preview)
- Chacko, J.*, Pal, K.*, Swaminathan, K. Crystal structure of mouse RhoA:GTPγS complex in a centered lattice. J Struct Funct Genomics. 2012; 13: 241-245
- Pal, K., Melcher, K., Xu Eric H. Structure and mechanism for recognition of peptide hormones by Class B GPCRs. Acta Pharmacologica Sinica. 2012; 33: 300-311.
- Pal, K., Swaminathan, K., Xu, Eric H., Pioszak, A.A. Structural Basis for Hormone Recognition by the Human CRFR2-G Protein-coupled Receptor. J of Biol. Chem. 2010; 285(51): 40351-361.
- Pal, K., Kumar, S., Sharma, S., Garg, S., Md, Suhail Alam, Eric, Xu., Agarwal, P., Swaminathan, K. Crystal structure of full length Mycobacterium tuberculosis glycogen branching enzyme : insights of N terminal β-sandwich in substrate specificity and enzymatic activity. J of Biol. Chem. 2010; 285(27):20897-903.
- Zhou, XE*, He, Y*, de Waal, PW*, Gao, X*, Kang, Y, Van Eps, N, Yin, Y, Pal, K., et al. Structural Identification of Phosphorylation Codes for Arrestin Recruitment by G protein-Coupled Receptors. Cell. 2017: 170 (3), 457-469.
- Y. He, Xiang Gao, Goswami, D., Li Hou , Pal, K., Yanting Yin, Gongpu Zhao, Oliver P. Ernst, Patrick Griffin, Karsten Melcher, H. Eric Xu. Molecular Assembly of Rhodopsin with G-Protein Coupled Receptor Kinases. Cell Research. 2017; 27: 728-747.
- Kang, Y.*, Zhou, E., Gao, X.*, X.*, He. Y.*, …Pal, K. et.al. Crystal structure of rhodopsin bound to arrestin by femtosecond X-ray laser. Nature. 2015; 523: 561-567.
- Zhao,* Li-Hua, Yin,* Pal, K et al. Differential Requirement of the Extracellular Domain in Activation of Class BG Protein-Coupled Receptors. J of Biol. Chem. 2016; 523: 561-567; 291(29):15119-30.
- Kumar, S.*, Badireddy, S.*, Pal, K., Sharma, S., Arora, C., Garg, S.K., Md, Suhail Alam, Agarwal, P., Anand, G.S., Swaminathan, K. Interaction of Mycobacterium tuberculosis RshA and SigH is mediated by salt bridges. PLoS One. 2012; 7(8):e43676.
- Project titled “Identification of novel conserved kinase-kinase interface in receptor tyrosinekinase for drug designing” was granted from DST-SERB with sanction amount of Rs 29,61,151/-.
- Jointly received a grant from European Union on project “Rishi” with other participants from Adamas University.
Research Advisor / Supervisor:
- Doctoral Thesis Advisor / Supervisor : 1 (Under progress)
- Post Graduate Thesis Advisor : 3 (Awarded)