Dr. Sudip Jana
Present Position: Assistant Professor
Department of Mathematics, School of Basic & Applied Sciences
- PhD in Oceanography, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
- Sc. in Mathematics, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur
Research Key Areas:
- Ocean dynamics
- Data-assimilative multiscale ocean modeling, analysis and prediction
- Underwater sound propagation
- Assistant Professor, Adamas University, India, 2019-Present
- Postdoctoral Associate, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, 2016 – 2018
- Postdoctoral Associate, Florida State University, USA, 2014 – 2016
- Fulbright Visiting Research Fellow, University of Massachusetts Dartmouth, USA, 2012 – 2013
- Junior and Senior Research Fellow, Indian Institute of Technology Kharagpur, 2009 – 2014
Research Publication (s):
- Number of research papers published in International refereed journals: 08
- Number of research papers published in International peer-reviewed Scopus Proceedings: 06
- Number of invited Book-Chapters: 01
For Details, Visit: https://vidwan.inflibnet.ac.in/profile/161860 and https://sites.google.com/view/sudipjana/
Selected Publication (s):
- Jana, A. Gangopadhyay, P. J. Haley Jr., P. F. J. Lermusiaux, 2022, February. Sound Speed Variability over Bay of Bengal from Argo Observations (2011-2020). In OCEANS 2022-Chennai (pp. 1-8). IEEE. DOI: 10.1109/OCEANSChennai45887.2022.9775509
- P. Dey, M. K. Dash, K. Sasmal, S. Jana, N. J. Raju, 2020: Impact of river runoff on seasonal sea level, Kelvin waves, and East India Coastal Current in the Bay of Bengal: A numerical study using ROMS. Regional Studies in Marine Science, 35, 101214.
- F. J. Lermusiaux, C. Mirabito, P. J. Haley, Jr., W. H. Ali, A. Gupta, S. Jana, E. Dorfman, A. Laferriere, A. Kofford, G. Shepard, M. Goldsmith, K. Heaney, E. Coelho, J. Boyle, J. Murray, L. Freitag, A. Morozov, 2020, October. Real-time probabilistic coupled ocean physics-acoustics forecasting and data assimilation for underwater GPS. In Global Oceans 2020: Singapore–US Gulf Coast (pp. 1-9). IEEE. DOI: 10.1109/IEEECONF38699.2020.9389003
- Jana, A. Gangopadhyay, P. F. J. Lermusiaux, A. Chakraborty, S. Sil, P. J. Haley Jr., 2018: Sensitivity of the Bay of Bengal upper ocean to different winds and river input conditions. Journal of Marine Systems, 187, 206-222.
- Kumar, S. Jana, A. Bhardwaj, R. Deepa, S. K. Sahu, P. K. Pradhan, S. A. Sirdas, 2018: Greenhouse Gas Emission, Rainfall and Crop Production over North- Western India. The Open Ecology Journal, 11, 47-61.
- F. J. Lermusiaux, P. J. Haley Jr., S. Jana, A. Gupta, C. S. Kulkarni, C. Mirabito, W. H. Ali, D. N. Subramani, A. Dutt, J. Lin, A. Y. Shcherbina, C. M. Lee, A. Gangopadhyay, 2017: Optimal planning and sampling predictions for autonomous and Lagrangian platforms and sensors in the northern Arabian Sea. Oceanography 30(2), 172-185.
- N. Krishnamurti, S. Jana, R. Krishnamurti, V. Kumar, R. Deepa, F. Papa, M. A. Bourassa, M. M. Ali, 2017: Monsoonal intraseasonal oscillations in the ocean heat content over the surface layers of the Bay of Bengal. Journal of Marine Systems, 167, 19-32.
- Dey, S. Sil, S. Jana, S. Pramanik, P. C. Pandey, 2017: An Assessment of TropFlux and NCEP Air-Sea Fluxes on ROMS Simulation over the Bay of Bengal Region. Dynamics of Atmospheres and Ocean, 80, 47-61.
- F. J. Lermusiaux, D. N. Subramani, J. Lin, C. S. Kulkarni, A. Gupta, A. Dutt, T. Lolla, P. J. Haley Jr., W. H. Ali, C. Mirabito, S. Jana, 2017. A Future for Intelligent Autonomous Ocean Observing Systems. Journal of Marine Research, 75(6), 765-813.
- Coulin, P. J. Haley, Jr., S. Jana, C.S. Kulkarni, P. F. J. Lermusiaux, T. Peacock, 2017, September. Environmental ocean and plume modeling for deep sea mining in the Bismarck Sea. In Oceans 2017-Anchorage, USA (pp. 1-10). IEEE.
- Jana, A. Gangopadhyay, A. Chakraborty, 2015: Impact of Seasonal River Input on the Bay of Bengal Simulation. Continental Shelf Research, 104, 45-64.
- Jana, S. Sil, A. Chakraborty and M. Ravichandran, 2011. Development of a high resolution climatology for the Bay of Bengal using Argo observations. In Advances in Geosciences: Volume 24: Ocean Science (OS) (pp. 105-116).
Research Advisor / Supervisor:
- Post Graduate Thesis Advisor / Supervisor: 01 (Under progress)
Award/ Academic Recognition/ Major Professional Activity:
- Post-doctoral fellowship offer from Massachusetts Institute of Technology, USA, 2016
- Post-doctoral fellowship offer from Japan Agency for Marine-Earth Science and Technology (JAMSTEC), Japan, 2016
- Post-doctoral fellowship offer from Florida State University, USA, 2014
- Fulbright-Nehru Doctoral and Professional Research Fellowship, 2012
- Life member: Ocean Society of India; Indian Science Congress Association
- Reviewer: Ocean Modelling, Deep Sea Research-II, International Journal of Remote Sensing, Ocean Dynamics, Ocean Science, Journal of Atmospheric & Earth Sciences, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Marine Biology Research